Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Adoption Chronicles: volume 10

Wow, so much has happened in the last couple of days. First I will mention the adoption agency. Lara has a few altercations on her criminal record from 9 years ago. This is the reason she has failed her BCI. The more I learn about the adoption process the more frustrated I become. Lara has lived in Utah for 4 years and 9 months. The adoption agency does a BCI for 5 years within the state you live in, however, if an individual has lived in the state less than 5 years then they do a National BCI all the way back. So If Lara had moved to Utah 3 months earlier we wouldn’t even be dealing with this. She hasn’t though, and so we are dealing with it. This has reinforced the agency’s position of us not being eligible to adopt Nikki’s baby. I spent over two hours on the phone today and found out that we would have to expunge those things from Lara’s criminal record. Further problems arise from my criminal record too. The whole dog attacking the cat thing that is on my record has been called into question. I also found out that once we get those items expunged the turn time to get a new BCI is 3 months! I am becoming more convinced that we are going to have to do this adoption privately, but again I am afraid to push that too hard cause I don’t want to scare Nikki so that she changes her mind.

No comments: